Recover trashed USB file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Diaspar, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Diaspar macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I accidentally trashed a file (Pages document) on a USB stick. It's not in the Mac HD's trash, nor can I find the hidden folder I understand it should be in on the actual USB stick. Is there any way to recover it?

I'm on an iMac running Mavericks. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Try "DataRescue". (may be "DataRescue4" now).

You can download it free.
    It will let you recover ONE (and ONLY one) file "for free" without registering it.

"Aim it" at the USB drive and give it a go.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Try connecting the USB stick, then check the Trash again. You did not say you emptied the trash so it may be in the Trash can once the USB stick is connected.
    If you already emptied the Trash when the USB stick was connected then try Fishrrman's recommendation.

4. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I haven't emptied the trash and I haven't disconnected the USB stick since I deleted the file. Is there really no way of finding it without downloading a programme? I had hoped there'd be a "show hidden folder" option for the USB's secret trash-stash.

5. Chloec macrumors member

Chloec

To recover the lost file, download a third party application to found it. Above answer has mentioned a recovery tools too. I also advise you download a application which calls DataRecovery3, use the trial version at first and scan out the pages file document. You can also read more details from the link article.

And please don't write the other same type files to your USB stick before you find the lost one, maybe they will cover the lost file's place.