Recovered files folder on start up? Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Jul 21, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a 500GB Samsung 5400 spin hard drive. I first had it in my 2008 MacBook unibody and then recently moved it to my 13" MacBook Pro. On both machines from time to time I get a new folder in the trash called recovered files. It seems to happen after boot up. What I can't figure is it doesn't do it on the other hard drives. The 13" MacBook Pro's stock drive never did it nor did the Seagate 310GB 7200 spin now in my 15". Does anyone think the drive is bad for some reason? Thanks

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I have a MBP coreduo which had the stock 100GB drive and I've upgraded it to a 7200rpm 320GB drive and I've had that pesky recovered files folder on both drives. It seems pretty random and I haven't figured out what causes it either. I haven't worried about it much though as everything else seems fine. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it might ease your fears.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It is caused by certain applications leaving files in their respective 'temp' folders, which Mac OS X then intelligently clears out upon restart. It keeps them in the trash in the off-chance that there is something in there that you would want to keep, but this is unlikely.

In the majority of cases, it is fine to delete the trash when this folder is there.

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks everyone. One more question. Why did it never do it with any other drive except the 500GB Samsung?

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

As I mentioned, it really isn't drive-dependent.

The only reason I can see for this is that when you had your old hard drive, you didn't have any applications installed which acted in the way described above.

Otherwise, it'll just be a case of you only now noticing this.

8. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

When I boot up in that specific folder I always find the original dock files when I have modded it with CandyBar i. E.