Recovered Files in Trash each morning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slumpey326, Jul 5, 2010.

1. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

Was just wondering why everytime I turn my mbp on in the morning, there are recovery files in the trash.

Does this get down by default everyday? Is there a way to stop this or should I let it be.

2. SA22C macrumors regular

Depends on what the files are. Typically when I see 'Recovered' files in the Trash they are temporary Internet files or other junk files that can be safely deleted. I've never actually run into a data file or document that needed to be restored from that folder. As for stopping this behavior, I'm not sure how you'd do that. Maybe one of the more experienced users will chime in.

3. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

these seem like temporary files, I just dont like that it appears every day. I just want to know how I can stop them from appearing in the trash folder.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Often these files are font caches, can safely be deleted, and you can try to stop them from appearing by deleting the font cache. I use OnyX (freeware) to do that. The settings you have for disabled fonts in font book will be reset and you will have to redo that.
    The surest and esiest way to prevent this irritating but minor issue is to put the MBP to sleep at night, :):apple::) and you will never see these files again.
    Of course, running without a restart, your memory usage will increase, but running repair disk permissions will clear up any serious memory issues (in addition to fixing any problems caused by bad installer application - are you listening Adobe?), and you will see, in Activity Monitor, almost as much free memory as just after a restart.
    So I have almost zero reservations about putting my Mac to sleep compared with turning it off. Of course there are cases where turning it off is best.
    In any case, after years of use, and just deleting these "recovered files". I have never noticed any related issues. :cool:

5. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they saw growl on it when I look at the files. What is growl used for, do I need it on.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

From the Macupdate.com page
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15979/growl
    "Growl is a notification system that allows any application to send it a notification, and then it displays it. You can (for example) be notified that you have new email, or that a download completed, etc."
    Growl is freeware, but it does not come with the MBP, you must have installed it at some point, :( have you forgotten that?
    Uninstall it and see if those recovered files stop appearing.:cool:
    Also, in order to get help better, post your system details, model year etc. and what OS you are running.

7. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a new 2010 macbook pro 13in version. I think growl was installed when I installed textwrangler on my mpb. How can I get rid of growl.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

:(No offense intended, but your depending on this thread rather than looking into your own problem is getting tiring quickly.
    Open up the Growl installer. Is there an uninstall option? Check the Growl HP for an answer to that question, I have never used Growl so I don't know and it is your problem so you should do the work involved. Got a browser? Hit the Google page and type in uninstall Growl? Use AppCleaner?
    Do some research before posting here expecting others to do your homework for you. We are here to help, as we have been helped before, not to do everything for you, as a professional I would have to charge you for that.

9. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you please not be so rude. A forum is suppose to help people out no matter how stupid the question might be.

10. stevemurrayphot macrumors newbie

Post of the day !

11. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

do I win a prize :)

12. EHVio macrumors newbie

13. ColinM macrumors member

*golf clap*

And honestly, the recovered items take up all of... how many kilobytes? Just trash them when you delete something else. The rest is called OCD.