Recovered .nib files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MJM1977, May 14, 2009.

1. MJM1977 macrumors newbie

I recently decided to clean up my old PowerBook G4; y’know, back up my files, reformat my hard drive and restore the system software. I had backed up my data to my firewire drive, and the PowerBook’s Restore Disk had OS 10.3.something on it… long story short, my hard drive became an unmountable mess. I ran Prosoft’s Data Rescue, which was able to recover 25 gigs of data… out of about 200.

Well, I recovered a few documents, all my MP3s, some QT movies and a bunch of useless stuff like MS Office sample docs. Anyway, in the recovered files, in the “images” folder, there are about four thousand “.nib” files. I’m not sure what these are. Since they are in the “images” folder, I am hoping some of them might be some photos I had on the drive. All I have gleaned from my Google searches are that .nib files are some sort of Apple developer file or a Corel Graphics10 Photopoint file?

Is there anyway to open these? I would really like to see what they are.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They are interface files. You will need the developer toolkit installed off your os x install disks to read these files. The application that opens them is called Interface builder. But these files are essentially useless to you. They normally are from inside an application bundle.