Recovering data from damaged hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nstb, Nov 2, 2014.

1. nstb macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Long story short - my MBP crashed the other day, when I turned it back on, it no longer recognised the hard drive. Went through the disk utility repair option, but that has been unable to sort the problem.

Restored a backup onto an external hard drive, so running my laptop from that for the moment, however there are two files that I would really like to recover from my old hard drive that hadn't been backed-up.

I'm able to access the folder the file is in, but every time I try to copy it across I get this error message "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in [file] can't be read or written. (Error code -36)"

Running 10.10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

try Data Rescue or similar programs - they are often successful

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just a thought...

If there are only TWO FILES that you need to try to recover, you can probably get away with using DataRescue in the "non-registered" mode.

You can download DR for free, and use it in "test mode" (i.e., pre-registration mode) to "get at" the first file. This is because in pre-registration mode, DR will scan the entire drive and let you recover -just one- file (before you register it).

Try this to see if it will give you the option to recover BOTH files.
    Then choose one of them.

At this point, I would put the first recovered file in a safe place, and then quite DR and remove all traces of it from the computer (use "EasyFind" to locate and delete the "pieces").

Then I would repeat the above for the SECOND file.

OR -- to get at the second file, use an alternate data recovery app like Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery or Disk Drill.

Again, in pre-registration mode either app probably gives you the chance to recover one file.

Get the second one this way, and you're done....