recovering data from damaged HD?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gldelx, Sep 18, 2008.

1. gldelx macrumors member

anyone have experience with getting data off a damaged HD?
    I 'had' an external HD used for my MBP backups and all my photo & media data that fell from an end table onto the hardwood floor. When the power cord was plugged back into the wall, you could hear a definite wobble in the drive and was not recognized by the MBP. I immediately unplugged it and noticed when you move the enclosure you can hear a slight clunk when moving from side to side.
    I tore the enclosure apart and hope to be able to have someone pull the data off the disk itself. Anyone have experience having data recovered from drives with physical damage?
    :(

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

if the platters aren't scratched, you can probably recover the data from data recovery companies. If they are, you're out of luck.

3. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

He is correct.

Sometimes, however, I have had luck just hooking the external up to a separate computer altogether. Not sure why, but it does work sometimes.

That being said, if your drive without a doubt has physical damage, I would stop moving it around ASAP, and start making some phone calls to data recovery businesses.:apple: