Recovering data from hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hixos, Dec 18, 2014.

1. hixos macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Air (2008) and it doesn't start anymore. It seems like the hard disk drive is somehow damaged. I tried with the diagnostics and also with Disc Warrior to repair the disc, but that wasn't possible. It's the second time that I need to change the hdd of my Mac. Still, I need to copy some data from the disc.
    I can start the system in console mode. Is there any way I can mount the hdd from shell and try to get some data from it?

2. DuganRun macrumors newbie

3. DuganRun macrumors newbie

To make you or anybody else aware the link I provided is not the exact adapter I bought but it's similar.

4. NeilHD macrumors regular

Have you got a second Mac? My daughters MBP had a similar problem but I was able to start it in Target Disk Mode, then connect it to my MBA and with a Thunderbolt cable connecting the two I could copy everything off it.

I was then able to reformat and reinstall the MBP.

5. hixos thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a second Mac, but I think I can provide one. How can I start MBA in Target Disk Mode?

----------

I found this in stackexchange:

"The only supported option for transferring data between two Macbook Air, using a wired connection, using Migration Assistant, is through ethernet. Since both models of the Macbook Air do not have an ethernet port, you will need to purchase the Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter for the older model Macbook Air which does not have a Thunderbolt port, and an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter for the newer model which supports Thunderbolt."