Recovering data from laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lizruns, Jun 20, 2014.

1. lizruns macrumors newbie

Hey MacRumors, maybe you can help me out.

My macbook pro flipped out on me. Wouldn't boot up, took me straight to utilities. Took it to the Apple store and they determined there was an issue with the software (not the hardware) and that I just needed to wipe the drive and reinstall OS X. Which is all well and good but I (of course) haven't backed my files up in ages.

The guy at the Apple store told me I could hook up my external hard drive and run the OS on it, and then try and salvage my files. Problem is... I'm having some issues locating said files. Not sure if I missed a step, but the OS is running on my external hard drive right now, but it just looks like a new computer.

Any ideas? I'd love to not lose all my work files, so I'm hoping someone here has some advice. Google searching has gotten me some advice, but of a lot of it is technically over my head or is for people with fried hard drives, which is not my issue.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

I understand that you have installed a new OS on an external hard drive, right ?

Go to Finder / Preferences / Side Bar / Devices, and tick the "Hard disks" box.

Your internal hard drive should now show up in the Finder's side bar, and you should be able to access your data, under : Macintosh HD / Users / your_user_name

3. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

By Finder's Sidebar I assume you mean when you open a file or whatever, and what displays on the left hand side. Hard Disks was already checked, but I checked the rest of them. Not showing up. I just see the external hard drive and "Elizabeth's MacBookPro" which just displays the External Hardrive again and the Network.

Any other idea? I'm 90% sure the OS is running on the hard drive because it wasn't working at all until I did that.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Looks like your internal hard drive is not longer "visible"...

Go to Applications / Utilities, launch "Disk utility".

Take a screenshot of the window please.

5. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can you remember what steps you took or post which instructions you followed?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, nearly it.
    Launch (double-click) Disk Utility.
    Take a screen shot of THAT disk utility window, which will show all active storage devices.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Nope :)

Double click on "Disk utility", then take a screen shot of the Disk utility window.

EDIT : (ninja'd !)

9. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

You haven't 'launched' Disk Utility.

Barney

10. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

I basically following the instructions the guy at the Apple Store gave me.

----------

Ha, my bad. Here it actually is.

[​IMG]

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Great. WHAT WERE THEY??? We can't talk to him so it would be really useful to know what those steps were - it may make a difference to recovering your data or not.

Want help, give information.

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Here we can see your internal 320 GB hard drive.

Try this : select the "Macintosh HD" partition, then click on the blue "Mount" button.

13. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

... I did. In my first post. Guy told me to install the OS on my external hard drive and I might be able to salvage files off my computer that way. The issue is I've done that, yet can't seem to locate the files stored on my computer. I was asking if anyone knew where they might be hiding since that was the extent of what he told me.

No need to be snappy.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope, you just seem to be being evasive, "install the OS" can involve several differences in how you do it, what steps do you take to achieve that. You are telling me "I went to work", I am asking how - walk down the street? take a cab? fly?

Did you erase the drive, format it, Cmd-R recovery boot? The devil is in the detail....maybe

Just to add, I'm not convinced you are running the OS on your external drive, that would indicate you may have formatted/erased your internal drive.....

15. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

Not letting me mount Mac HD. Tells me the disk need to be repaired, so I try running First Aid and it's like "sorry, back up your files and wipe your OS".

16. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can you screenshot that please, I can't remember anywhere OSX asks you to backup files on a drive it can't mount....

17. lizruns, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, be more specific next time. If you want a play by play, say that.

Basically, I hooked up the external hard drive. Had to reformat is to support partitions or something to that effect, which I did, which wiped it which was fine. Then I used Disk Utility to install my OS. It basically gave me a screen that allowed me to select the Mac HD or my external HD. I selected the external one, installed it, and my computer now functions like it should in that I can surf the web. It looks like my files still exist somewhere because I still see what I believe was the name of my old HD (Elizabeth's MacBookPro or whatever it was) but I don't see a way into it.

It should be noted that it wouldn't let me install a new OS on my HD because it was telling toto repair it in utilities, which then told me to wipe it (which I didn't do) and prior to putting it on my external HD it just booted up straight to the utilities screen. So I'm pretty certain it's running on my external HD and I didn't accidentally delete my hard drive.

----------

So this is is what I get when I try to mount...
    [​IMG]

And when I do disk repair, I get this.
    [​IMG]

Perhaps I need to to the Hitachi HD? The guy at the store mentioned mounting that, but it was prior to him recommending me doing the extern HD thing.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've found that there are utilities out there that do a better job at disk repair than others. I used to use Disk Warrior, but there are some others. You can try that, but your data may be lost.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

See the "invalid B-tree node size" message in red - that indicates the problem, or one of them. I'd recommend you download diskwarrior and run that, it may be able to rebuild the file structure to enable you to get your files off.

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Failing that I see reformat as your only option but TBH I wouldn't trust that disk again, I would replace it then format/install your OS.

20. lizruns thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look ingot Disk Warrior. I'm thinking it may be gone too, but I just wanted to check and see if there were any secrets someone on here might know.

----------

Hm, well replacing the disk probably isn't doable right now as I'm sure that'll cost some money. But I guess it won't matter if all my files are gone anyway.

I'll try disk warrior. Thanks for all your help!

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Probably same money for Disk Warrior or a new bigger disk. If you re-use the disk I'd be worried the error could reoccur (for instance if this is the first indication of a physical patch of disk degrading.....you could lose data all over again.)