Recovering Data From My MBP Hitachi Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaqbook, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Shaqbook macrumors newbie

I recently had my first mac hard drive failure. The my MBP began hanging, the startups took over an hour. I ran Disk Utility from the SNow Leopard boot disk and repaired the drive (inc. permissions) but it still didnt work. Finally i tried to reinstall snow leopard but the install froze half way through.

I bought a new HD and my MBP is up and running but I have a 1.25GB file (a set of flash cards from med school) I've been trying to get off the original Hitachi Drive. I bought a USB -> SATA connector and have been able to copy some files off but the drive ultimately locks up after a while of copying. It seems like the 1.25GB file locks up at various times and Im looking for a way to salvage the file.

Any ideas?

2. Shaqbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Any Ideas?

Also is there another site I should look for answers to mac HW questions (i signed up for MacRumors b/c whenever i google a question about my mac this is the site that comes up)

3. brdnboy macrumors regular

My recommendation would be to use Data Rescue 3. It sounds like your drive may be functioning enough for the software to recover most, if not all of your data.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I bought a USB -> SATA connector and have been able to copy some files off but the drive ultimately locks up after a while of copying. It seems like the 1.25GB file locks up at various times and Im looking for a way to salvage the file."

The USB/SATA connector was a good solution. You'll find it to come in handy for other tasks, too.

I think that you should give some "data recovery" software a go at it.

There are "pay for" apps like DataRescue3 and Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery that have very good reputations for this.

However, there is a "new kid on the block" you might consider trying called "Disk Drill". It's currently in late-beta stage, but for the time being is _free_:
    http://www.cleverfiles.com/
    I'd give this a try first.

Another thought:
    I believe the way DR3 works (perhaps SPDR as well) is that the freely-downloadable copy lets you examine the [corrupted] drive in question, and then lets you recover ONE file only. The purpose is to give the user the opportunity to see if the program has a shot at recovering the data _before_ the shareware fee is paid.

However, if it's only a single file you're looking to get, the free versions of these apps might actually be all you need!

5. Shaqbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Downloaded Disk Drill, looks like a helpful tool but requires a "Deep Scan" to recover data off the mac HFS. Right now it says the ETA for the scan is 30 hours.

The DR3 demo was a good idea but has a 10mb cap on the 1 file. Im currently looking for alternatives since the cheapest price I fund online was $90. Im thinking of just mailing the drive to the DR3 company with the assumption that the recovery of one file might be cheaper then the actual software.

6. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502