Recovering data from my wife's Acer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jschultz, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I didn't see a non-mac Vista forum.

Basically, we made backup discs for my wife's Acer laptop, but when we popped them in after the restore, the first disc was no good. She had lots of important stuff in her "My documents" folder, and she's angry now.

There have been 2 restores since that particular time. Can I still recover them?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

If they are made with Restore Point, then you should be able to choose that point in System Restore and they would be accessible. I did that a few times myself when I deleted some docs. :eek:

3. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I looked into this, but that restore point I desire is not there. Anything else I can try?

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A slightly expensive alternative, is a program that can recover files from the had drive. They are out there, ones that say they can recover just about anything.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

windows recovery software

a decent free program for file recovery is FreeUndelete and you can follow the link to download it. free to use for personal use. couple notes, use the filter (ie *.doc) to speed up the search time, and you must recover to another drive (ie if you are scanning c:, you can't save files back to c: ) but you can use a flash drive or external.

i'm just south of you in champaign and do data recovery. lots of high end hardware/software here and would offer (for free) to scan the backup disc that you made if you want, pm me if interested. best of luck either way!

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

That is awfully decent of you, it has been a long time since I have seen people try to help each other out like this.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

nothing like a pissed off wife to ruin your day. or several days. or days that drag into months... :eek:

enjoy helping, and with the right tools, it's not even enough work to call it work.