recovering desktop file

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman2k8, Aug 23, 2008.

1. macman2k8 macrumors newbie

after finding a replication of my desktop file i deleted all desktop files not knowing that it would delete everything off my desktop. i am trying to recover the files on my desktop in hopes to get back all the deleted files. i know there is a way to do it. but an in need of serious help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, never delete or rename anything you haven't created yourself and you should be right.

Are the file still in the Trash?

3. macman2k8 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Unix Deleting

Your files are gone. And shame on you for not backing up your computer. Realize now, that you have pwned your own computer.

If this was a windows machine then maybe we could recover files but AFAIK, norton never does anything well and when a file is deleted using rm or removed from the trash it is gone forever.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

There should still be a way to recover the deleted files, as long as you have not used the hard drive too much.

You will, most likely, need to use a third party file recovery software, such as http://www.datarecoverymac.com/.

I am very sure that there are a LOT cheaper options available, probably free.