Recovering Emptied Trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wally Sean, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Wally Sean macrumors newbie

I recently deleted a number of video files I had on my computer. Turns out, I needed these files to actually have a movie. When I deleted them, I clicked Empty Trash, so supposedly there's a way to recover them using some program. Does anyone know how I can recover these files?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can go to VersionTracker and search on "file recovery"
    There are several to choose from, with varying degrees of success

You should not use your computer to save any more files until you try the recovery or you run the risk of overwriting

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

4. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

This has happened to me before. I searched around and found this app "Data Rescue II" from prosoft.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

I wasn't expecting much because I read OSX defrags all the time and data is lost quickly. However, mine was an external drive and this app managed to recover everything! my whole 12gb folder I deleted by mistake. It does make a weird index though, arranging evrything by kind, i.e. al pngs together, all jpgs together, etc.

5. Wally Sean thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much. i called the apple help line and person on the other end told me it was impossible.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yeah... not so much

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I used a similar program called "FileSalvage", to get back a folder by daughter deleted and then emptied from the trash. It worked great, but as you said, it can't get the file names back, so you have to dig through the files it finds and rename them.

I think it was $80 and worked well enough for me. I guess it depends on how bad you need the files. It it would be worth $80 to you, I would recommend this:

http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1