recovering files from dead drive, taking disc out and into new drive, possible?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benlangdon, Mar 23, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

So...
    I took a hard drive apart a while back, as i was doing this i thought "could i just take the disc and put into an open drive?"

im guessing it could be done because why else would someone do a 35 pass erase

if you could get the disk out with out touching it
    and
    you could put it into an open working hdd

what would i have to do to make it work or how hard.
    (ya i thought of this a long time ago and just remembered because someone posted something about a failing hdd)

2. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Last time I checked, hard disk drives were hermetically sealed. It is possible to change the electronics of a drive by yourself, but platters? You'd need a specialized data rescue company.

3. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well i do not actually need to do this

but what do the specialized data rescue company's due

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

Data rescue companies pretty much do just that.

The difference is that they have a clean-room environment, as well as drive electronics that match (possibly even down to board revision and firmware version-- Each vendor stores data on the platters in a completely different manner; differing locations for error-correcting bits, etc.)

So, yes, you could do it in theory, but it's unlikely that you have the resources (i.e.: a clean room and a whole lot of extra drives) in order to make it work.

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

nice to know thanks

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, likely not going to happen. If the slightest speck of dust, smudge or fingerprint gets on the platter, it's toast. If the data is that important to you, you could send it off to a data recovery service, but be prepared to pay a few thousand bucks for it.