Recovering formatted Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwelmarten, Jun 22, 2011.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    I have a 1TB time capsule. It had a backup on it called iMac.sparsebundle. However, I deleted this file (original size 650gb). Now, the backup is inaccessible and I can not restore my computer from it, however the time capsule still shows an available capacity of 350gb, and the file still exists in the directory of the tine capsule. Is there any way of recovering the file on the time capsule using software? I have a available 2TB separate drive for coping other files to.

I've already tried restoring files from trash.

Thanks in advanced.

Sam

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you feel comfortable opening your Time Capsule and in the process voiding your warranty, you can remove the HDD and place it into a dock or enclosure and try using recovery software on it to attempt to restore the file.

As an aside, that .sparsebundle file is your backup. That is how OS X backs up to any drive connected wirelessly. If that file is deleted, so is your backup. But if it is reporting that the free space on your Time Capsule's HDD is only 350GB, there is a good chance you may be able to recover that file.