recovering lost files from hard drive??? please help asap!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eric.goetsch, Apr 11, 2008.

1. eric.goetsch macrumors newbie

the other day my keyboard stopped working, blah blah blah, it works now but in the process i had to call apple care and they tried to help me but failed miserably. they had me make 2 other accounts and then try to transfer out all of my files... little did they know (literally) they didn't know how to do it...or reverse what they did. so now im stuck with 3 blank accounts and non of my itunes files (these are the one i really care about, everything else can be replaced) i know i still have the files bc my hard drive space is at 50 and i have a 120 g drive, also i clicked on disk utility and it reads that i have like a million plus files on here, so please does any one know how to recover all the files and put them back on to a new account? if i don't get a response i still would like to completely purge my hard drive so if you could tell me how to do that too that would be fantastic

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. vultureboy70 macrumors member

If you have access to another modern mac, you can go the Target Disk Mode route and recover your files that way.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If that music is store purchased, you have to de-authorize your mac first and authorize another mac for your music to work elsewhere. You can't just transfer the old itunes music to another computer. Why would Apple require to you make another account(s)? If you want to delete the other blank accounts, you have to sign into your main account and go to System Preferences and then to Accounts. Click on the names of the accounts you created and don't want and click on the little (-) sign directly below them to delete those blank accounts.