Recovering LOST files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trodat, Aug 12, 2012.

1. trodat macrumors newbie

I imagine you have all heard this MANY times!

However I had to do a full system restore (when I had to insert my Discs etc, etc) and subsequently lost ALL of my pictures. Are there any tools that I can use to recover this or are they lost?

Have seen a few tools but not sure if they are viruses etc, etc

Will appreciate your help :D

----------

Oh I have an iMac 7 and currently using 10.5.8 as I also lost Lion etc, etc

2. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I had to do a full system restore (when I had to insert my Discs etc, etc) and subsequently lost ALL of my pictures. Are there any tools that I can use to recover this or are they lost?"

Well, chances are you wrote new files -over- where your old ones were on the surface of the drive. If that's the case, they're gone for good.

If you're using the computer RIGHT NOW, any remnants of the old files are in danger, because they could get over-written during the normal operation of your Mac. The best thing to do is TO STOP USING THE DRIVE IN QUESTION RIGHT NOW (shouting intentional). That maximizes the chance that something on it may be recoverable.

There's always the chance that some pic files may not have been overwritten, but it may cost you $$$ even to find out, with no promise you'll get back what you want.

Here's something to try:
    Download any of the following:
    - DataRescue3
    - Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
    - Disk Drill
    - Nice to Recover

All of these come in "free download trials". What this means is:
    1. You download the software
    2. You run the software on the problem drive
    3. The software "scans" the problem drive, and creates a list of recoverable files
    4. The software permits a "trial recovery" of ONE file
    5. If the trial recovery is successful, you pay the registration fee, get a code, enter the registration, and the software goes to work on the -rest- of the drive.

Even so, there' no guarantee that you'll get the data back.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Why weren't you backed up?

For less than $100 you can have an easy-to-use backup system that would save you the headaches you're having now....