Recovering Lost Text

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 174225, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 174225 Guest

I had typed up a bit of prose in textedit, began copying/pasting and -- long story short -- ended up losing half the text I had typed up. I know textedit automatically saves text every thirty seconds in case the app itself unexpectedly quits. Are there caches of previous automatic saves, or any way to get my text back? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try using Command-Z to undo your changes?

3. 174225 thread starter Guest

That's where it gets tricky. I was typing something up to send in a Facebook message, and that particular something wouldn't fit in one message. I had copy/pasted half of my text in TextEdit over as a message, proceeded to delete that text I'd copied over from TextEdit, and then later on deleted the message on Facebook after finding error with it. I undid text to get back what I deleted...

This could go on forever. There was a mass undo/redo occurrence that resulted in me missing the second half of text I'd typed up. No amount of undo/redo'ing has aided me in bringing it back. I was just wondering where TextEdit's cached files are, for I absolutely cannot find them.