Recovering macbook hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TommyFiz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TommyFiz macrumors newbie

I made a post a little over two weeks ago about my macbook being water damaged and what I should do. I waited two weeks and tried to turn it on and it still wouldn't fire up. Anyways, I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, my hard drive isn't completely fried. Is there any way I could get important files off that hard drive, without buying another macbook and putting the hd in that laptop?

2. RRW71 macrumors newbie

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well, even then you could take it to a data recovery place, pay a lot of money, and have a chance at getting some files back.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeah that's true. But I usually consider the option where I have to pay a lot of money the SOL stage.:D

6. TommyFiz thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for my ignorance, but will a windows pc be able to take files from the mac hard drive? they aren't mac specific files, but it just seems like the pc wouldn't be able to read a mac-formatted hd?

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

its not really a matter of the files being a certain way, its that a mac formats its drives differently. You can see and use a mac formatted HDD on a windows machine, but you'll need (totally just blanked on the name) some software.