Recovering NAS LaCie hard disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dezaelez, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dezaelez macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:

I'm wondering if anybody has ever taken the hard disk from a LaCie NAS drive (mine was the LaCie Ethernet Disk mini http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10843 ) and stuffed it into a different enclosure (like a CoolMax NAS hard drive http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsNetwork.asp?item=CN-350&details=features&subcategory=&category=

For some reason my LaCie NAS drive stopped working after I turned it off at the end of the day. The next day it just wouldn't turn on. I figured that some electronic might have fried because I didn't drop it or heard any crashes.

Of course the 'wonderful' folks at LaCie would not sell me a new enclosure or a part, but they offered me a discount if I wanted to buy another 'junky' drive.

Seriously, what makes them think that a customer who just potentially lost 4 years worth of family pictures because of a faulty equipment would want to spend more money in the same company? LaCie, are you listening?

Anyway, so I took the disk drive from that enclosure and placed it in the CoolMax enclosure. So here is my problem; neither my Mac or my XP can see the drive through the network, heck! my router won't even see it.

So I also tried connecting it directly to my Mac using the USB port, and while the "Disk Utility" is able to see an external device, it cannot mount it, let alone read it.

I tried a data recovery utility and it is able to read some files, but it does not recognize the directory structure, it clumps the files by file type. Nice if you are looking for a single file, but not if you want to restore the whole drive.

Has anyone come across that scenario? If so, do you have any words of wisdom so I can 'revive' my old drive.

Thanks in advance.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It sounds like your drive is dead; I hope you backed up those pictures.

3. dezaelez thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no ... "Please tell me it isn't so ...!"

The funny thing is that I can see the files so I know they are alive -- although in limbo -- but isn't there a 'prayer' setting (or nice inexpensive utility) that I can conjure up?

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

And don't blame LaCie. Any drive can fail at any time, even five minutes after unpacking. I've had WD and Seagate drives go bad but I will still use WD drives any day. I even have a LaCie 2Big Triple drive.

If you can't get the pictures back, hopefully you have learned the importance of backing up. Time Machine is part of OS X because drives fail anytime without much warning.

5. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs