Recovering photos

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by maka985, Jan 22, 2011.

1. maka985 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have an Iphone 3GS that I had alot of photos on, and the other day I plugged it into my computer ( I have 3 phones that I connect to this PC), and for some reason, Im not sure what I pressed, it restored the Iphone to an earlier date without doing a backup. Is there a way for me to restore my files? I have look over the internet, however there is not any clear evidence that this can be done on a windows machine. I have tried using multiple file recovery programs, however they do not recognize the iphone as an external hard drive, because it only shows up as a camera. Thank you

2. ninjabytes, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

ninjabytes macrumors newbie

Did your phone back up? If not do you have a back up from a period of time when your phone had these photos?
    If so look for an iPhone backup extractor. :p (I'm a Mac not a PC but ******!) :D Hope this helps, you should be able to navigate to the DCIM directory and find a few folders. :p Google: Windows iPhone Backup Extractor.

3. maka985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nope, it didn't back up. Is there any other way?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not unless you have a recent backup with the pictures on it somewhere on another computer.
    They're pretty much gone if you didnt backup recently.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How is it possible to restore any files when there's no back up?

6. maka985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me rephrase and clarify it for you. I did not mean to confuse you. Is it possible to RECOVER files from an iphone once they are deleted. Something that is possible to do on hard drives and portable flash drives.

7. numanuma89 macrumors newbie

could you possibly do that computer recovery trick if you used iphone explorer? instead of letting the computer detect it as a camera device. Iphone explorer should be able to detect the root folders.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be nice but no there isnt one.
    My son deleted a few pics and videos of my iphone and I havent synced/backed them up either so kinda sucks.
    No recycle bin type of feature.

9. maka985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I Appreciate it.

10. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes. But it takes a LOT of work and if the blocks were already over written (most likely with a sync of files and restore of your previous back up) you still may not be able to recover the files. It would involve a dd capture over wifi using netcat, then running something like Scalpel on your machine to carve the files.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Don't feel bad. I wiped my phone to try to fix the wifi problem. I did a full backup first, wiped it, and through some chain of events, unplugged it and plugged it back in. itunes was set to backup when you plug in, so you guessed it: It backed up an empty phone right over my good backup.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!