Recovering Photos

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pgillies, Oct 11, 2007.

1. pgillies macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Wonndering if anyone can help. After buying an iMac three months ago I suffered my third hard drive failure and sent it packing back to the shop. After rubbish service from Apple Protection Plan (Im sorry we can't fix it because you bought it from a retailer....not us), I've finally got it back.

The problem is that there are some photos that are on the Apple TV that I hadn't backed up. Is there any way that I can get into the ATV to recover them?

Thank you for any help

A disillusioned Apple customer with severe regrets

2. imlucid macrumors 6502

There is no way to get those photos off using the supported software.

Kevin

3. pgillies thread starter macrumors newbie

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Can i assume that there is software out there somewhere that can get these photos off the ATV?

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Google for AwkwardTV. That website might be able to help you, but it is quite a lot of work.

I have purchased my iMac and iPod from a non-Mac retailer, but AppleCare never gives me any problems. I guess there is more to your story than meets the eye.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think that the synching process puts scaled 'versions' of your photos on the :apple:TV's HD, that are optimized for display on your TV but save HD space over the full-resolution versions. If this is true, you won't get your original photos back from the :apple:TV (though what is there can be extracted by hacking it).

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

From having read posts over the last year or two here and on other forums, Apple support outside of the US appears to be frequently abysmal.

7. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

As a last resort, you could always take pictures of the TV screen showing the photos.

8. pgillies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip - I'll look into it. I didnt lose that many pics as I backup quite often but you can imagine how frustrating it is seeing these pics up on the ATV screensaver!

I wish there was more to this story than meets the eye but there isn't. I bought a new Imac with bells and whistles from my local Apple shop. Two months later it had crashed. When I contacted the shop they told me "i could bring it in if i wanted, but it would be at least 2 weeks before they could look at it". When I rang Apple they told me to go back to the shop. With Apple's reputation for service and quality of product I found this pretty difficult to take. It was after the second failure Apple sent people out to see the computer. Even then, they couldn't guarantee bringing it back fixed if they found a part that had been installed by the Apple "endorsed" shop rather than them. Again, considering Ive shelled out extra for the protection, i found this unacceptable.

I guess Ive been unlucky. Its a lovely piece of kit and noone else i know has had the problems I have had. But isnt that the test of a company, to tackle things in the right manner when they go wrong?

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Sorry, I did not mean to accuse you of anything. Do you live outside US? In the US, AppleCare usually offers to send me a box so that I can mail the broken item to Apple. They never care where I bought it. Actually my problems were usually small stuff, such as headphones or mouse kind of thing, so they actually send a box with the new one, ask me to put the old one and send the box back, all prepaid by Apple. Of course, if it starts working when it arrives there, they might charge me for the replacement. :)

Your experience does not sound acceptable at all and you don't sound like a rude person who could tick off the customer service people on the phone.

Oh, any luck with getting your photos back?