Recovering saved Mail emails?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Projekt, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Projekt macrumors member

Recently my 2010 Macbook had a logic board failure- I replaced it with a rMBP and luckily was able to salvage the hard drive, which is now in a USB enclosure. I have access to all the files on the original machine's hard drive, but cannot boot from it.

Unfortunately I had an extremely important email that I need to recover. I cannot seem to access it from my Comcast web portal because it was sent so long ago, but I know that it was saved in the OSX Mail application because I had referred back to it several times prior.

Is there anyway I can pull said email from the hard drive? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

After some research I did manage to find a solution and thought I'd post it here in case anyone else runs into a similar issue. After plugging in the external, I navigated to (MyUserName)/Library/Mail/V2 and found a large amount of data folder with all of my emails in them.

Luckily I was able to just search the folder for the term I needed and the .vbox came right up with the email.

Hope this helps someone else.

3. ValeVale macrumors newbie

Thanks for this... I am trying to recover all my mail content from a failed hd
    but I cannot find the Library ... any idea?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

/home/library/mail/v2

If you can't see "/home/library..." it's because the "library" folder is normally invisible.

You can make it visible by doing this:
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Enter "chflags nohidden ~/Library" (copy WITHOUT quotes and paste into Terminal, then hit the return key)

You should now be able to see and access the library folder.