Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killaku3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
whats up everyone....had a mishap on my new macbook pro that forced me to replace the hard drive...i was unable to backup my playlists before the harddrive was fried....i wanted to find out if there is any way to recover my smartlists and song ratings from my iPod...i have copies of all my songs on an external HD, so I'm not concerned about getting the music, i just want to maintain the ratings and not have to manually rebuild my smartlists...is there any 3rd party software that will allow me to do this?

also for future reference, is there anyway to backup smartlists/song ratings?

thanks for your help

kk

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Unfortunately, 5G iPods don't understand smart playlists or folders, so even if you rescue your playlists from your iPod somehow they'll just be normal playlists.:(

As for backing up your ratings and smart playlists, all you need to do for that is back up your iTunes Library file, as that's where that information is stored. The file is located in ~/Music/iTunes/, where ~ is your home folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.