Recovering Songs From An Almost Dead 3G iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrjaja, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mrjaja macrumors newbie

mrjaja

My mum has recently got an iPod touch to replace her old third generation iPod. Her PC was slowing down considerably with all the songs she has on it, so she had to delete them all.

In addition, her iPod has certainly lived a long life, but the battery life of it has made it unusable. When it is turned on, the hard drive just whirs and dies.

So basically it is a dead iPod with music just sitting in it, and it is not recognized by a computer when attached.

However, when it is attached to a speaker/dock she has, it works fine and she can play songs no problem. I assume this is because it is getting a lot more power from it. So I tried plugging it into my computer from it, but no joy. :(

I tried to set it into "Disk Mode", in the hope that it would show up as an external drive, and with some Terminal trickery, I would uncover the songs and put them onto her iPod touch. But no joy once again :(

Does anyone know a workaround for this in terms of software? Or might it just be the hardware. I have seen places which will replace iPod batteries, and since this is well past the warranty, this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so much in advance :)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The reason it works on the speakers is that they provide Firewire (12V) power. Connect it to a comptuer with a Firewire Cable and it should work. Then just change the view so you can see the hidden and system files, then locating the songs. The 3G cannot charge over USB, Firewire only.

TEG