Recovering Stolen Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cubert, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Cubert macrumors regular

Cubert

My girlfriend's laptop was stolen out of our apartment yesterday. If I know the stolen Mac's MAC address, can I track and find it?

Relevant Info: Already reported to the police. Mobile Me not set up on it. Auto-login enabled (ie. no password requirement at login). No recovery third party software. I believe I know the person who did it and sat outside his house last night trying to see if it showed up under "Shared" in the Finder sidebar - no luck though as I think no one was home.

I think taking a screenshot of my laptop's Finder window with her laptop showing up in the Finder sidebar is my best bet now to get a search warrant. Any other ideas?

2. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Sounds like you have a good plan. Police might be a little slow in getting the job done. Be persistent.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ugh how horrible for you. Nice try on sitting outside his home, although make sure you don't get yourself into trouble with them. I'd say keep trying, if you can access his network then just stay on for as long as possible and as soon as you see it screenshot it. Good luck!