Recovering WEP code from keychain?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by freeedge369, Feb 5, 2008.

1. freeedge369 macrumors member

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. We recently moved in to a new house, and hence have a new WEP code on our wifi. My macbook pro has the password stored in it's keychain, but other family members now need the WEP key and the paper with the WEP key has been lost. Is there a way to find out the key from my keychain? Thanks.

~Luke

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Sure. Goto System Preferences - Network - Airport - Advanced - Highlight the wireless network you're connected to, then click the little pen icon to edit it (right next to the add and remove buttons).

It'll then ask if you want to allow access to the keychain, allow it to.

If you then check the box that says 'Show Password' it should display it for you.
    :)

3. freeedge369 thread starter macrumors member

I believe I tried that, it displayed "******"

=[

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Even after making sure the box that says 'Show Password' was checked? :confused:

That's rather odd...

Another option would be to goto the Keychain access program, goto Passwords, and somewhere in there you should be able to find the entry for your router under the Kind 'Airport network password' .

Double click on that, and try checking the Show Password in the window that'll come up. It'll prompt you for the password to the keychain. Enter that and it should display it there.