Recovery Disk Missing...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 262Runnr, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

OK, so I just recently installed an SSD and everything seems to be working great except for the fact that the "recovery disk" is missing.
    I rebooted my machine and held down the "option" key after I heard the sound and the option to boot from Recovery is gone...:(
    I cloned the new SSD with Carbon Copy but apparently it didn't clone the recovery disk onto the new SSD. I already formatted the original HDD that was in there and am using it in the Optibay for movies.

2. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Yea. I did the same thing and have no recovery disk either. It's not super important, but it would be nice to have back.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should check your CCC settings, because it does clone the recovery partition.

Cloning Apple's Recovery HD partition

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

When you cloned your disk, did you go to Disk Manager portion to install/copy the recovery partition? It should have given you a really big warning to do so. The "regular" cloning process only copies the main partition. You can always re-install OSX to get it back.

5. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

Thanks for the replies.
    I re-installed Mountain Lion onto a backup USB drive and created a USB recovery disk on an 8GB thumb drive.
    So, if I'm understanding all this correctly..If my OS got corrupted and my computer can't boot, I can now use the thumb drive to boot to and install a fresh copy of mountain lion.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Correct. During install, you specify which disk to install ML on, after you format. Just make sure the USB is 100% bootable.