Recovery help needed after Mavericks error

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SeanEE89, Oct 23, 2013.

1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

Today I saw that Mavericks was available for free through the App Store so like everyone else I attempted to install it. After it finished downloading I attempted to run the installed, and saw that it had failed. However, I was not smart during this whole process up to this point. I neglected to make a backup of my installation of Lion, and after restarting my computer after the failure found that I could no longer boot into the Mac partition and that I was getting bounced straight to the recovery partition.

It has been sometime since I have done a proper back up so I am currently attempting to attach my HDD from my MBP to my Mac Mini to recover my Bookmarks, and iPhone back ups. However I am unsure on how to access them with the drive attached as an external HDD.

If anyone could help me out with this it would be appreciated. I have tried searching the forum and google for a solution, but I am not finding an answer. I can't use the hold option in the go menu because it only opens it up in finder for my mac mini. I do have a windows computer available as well if that might help me in this process.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The iOS backups are in the folder below. ~ = your user name.

Code:
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    Your Safari bookmarks will be in a file called bookmarks.plist in the folder below. Again ~ = your user name.

Code:
    ~/Library/Safari/

3. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm well aware of their locations… However, you can't access the MobileSync/Backup/ folder under Application Support without holding option in the Go menu under finder for Library to pop up to access it through that means. I can't access the folder in the same manner when the hard drive is connected to another Mac because the hard driver will only boot to the recovery partition at the moment. The same goes for the /Safari folder under Library.

How can I access these hidden folders when the drive is connected to another mac and being recognized as an external HDD.

4. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

bump… Still haven't been able to access the backups on my HDD for my iPhone. I have been able to recover everything else at this point. I'm still unsure of how to view the hidden library files while the HDD is connected to another Mac as an external HDD.

Anyone?

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

From the another Mac, in Terminal :

chflags nohidden /Volumes/HDname/Users/username/Library/

Hit Enter.

- HDname to be replaced with the name of the HD
    - username to be replaced with your username

For instance :

chflags nohidden /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Users/sean/Library/

If MacintoshHD is the drive, and sean the user name.

6. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

That did the trick! Thanks Bruno09!