Recovery Key

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JCSColin, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JCSColin macrumors newbie

When I got my new MacBook Pro and was setting it up there was one part during the initial setting up a new computer process where a "recovery key" was created and I was given the option of storing it with Apple. Now my only issue is that I have no idea what this recovery key was for. I know it isn't a filevault recovery key as I have never used filevault on this Mac and I also know it wasn't for iTunes two-step verification. I have been looking everywhere trying to find out what this recovery key is for and my only guess is maybe it's an iCloud recovery key(Find my Mac) but I don't remember iCloud giving you the option of storing a recovery key with Apple. Any ideas of any Recovery Key that is stored with Apple but isn't used for filevault?

Thanks!!!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only thing I have ever seen a prompt like that for is the Filevault recovery key. Like you said, I have never seen it for iCloud or iTunes.

Are you sure maybe you did not select the key then decided you did not want to go through with the Filevault activation?

3. JCSColin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think that is what probably happened. I think I probably saw the key and printed it out and then I decided to not go through with Filevault.

Thanks for your help!

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

iCloud Keychain is one possibility. It gives you a choice to make a complicated passcode, though I don't think it gives you the option to store the key with Apple.

So like Weaselboy said, most likely it was FileVault .