Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Attempting to semi-tether Jailbreak my IP4. I'm saving the SHSH blobs now, but have a question...

While attempting to get the IP4 into DFU mode, if I mess up the timing and the phone goes into recovery mode, will I have to restore to IPSW5.0, or is there a way restore to my old FW?

I have recently changed computers, and I'm now on a Mac. My old Windows PC had Tiny Umbrella with all my old firmware and SHSH saved.

With that being the case, again, I'm concerned that I'll have no way to restore to 4.1 that I'm currently on if something goes wrong. I already got the phone into recovery mode rather than DFU once, and it came back on and booted to my old 4.1 IPSW after I held the power button. Not sure if that was a lucky break, or if I'm alright to try again.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

2. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sorry for the bump - but I need to do this over the weekend if possible. Just need to make sure im not going to get stuck in recovery mode... Thanks guys!

3. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

get tinyumbrella and press Save SHSH, the cydia server should have it

4. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I see - but I don't need TU for the JB anymore, correct?

If I get in recovery mode rather than DFU by mistake, will I absolutely need TU to get out of it, or id there something else I can do to get back to my current un-jailbroken springboard & try again?

Thanks again!

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

6. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Hm - but Redsn0w came up w/ a message that said "DFU failed - consult google" or somethig to that effect. If that happens again, how would I go about getting back to my 4.1 springboard & starting over (again, I think I did it by mistake last time). Thanks!

7. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

To clarify - if I fail DFU mode, do I have to restore, or can I simply restart the button sequence even though the phone is in recovery mode?

Thanks!

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

If you get sequence wrong and fail to go into DFU you can try again, no need to restore.

What i do is press home and power button together until screen turns of completely, than count 3 seconds and release power button while still holding down home for another 6 seconds.

9. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Makes sense - thanks! So if it's accidentally in recovery mode, that counts as 'having power off' per DFU mode instructions?