Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I used Recovery OS Disk Utility to mount (unlock) a Core Storage encrypted volume, then Terminal to attempt HFS-to-APFS (no conversion). I can't recall whether the (Command-Q) quit from Terminal was preceded by Command-W closure of the window. I probably did exit before the quit.

When I first posted this topic, I recalled the issue as: after using Terminal, macOS Utilities failed to reappear.

Symptom: a grey screen persisted for a few minutes.

I chose to force off the power.

Postscript

Whilst attempting to reproduce the symptom, I realised the more likely steps to reproduce:
  1. with Recovery OS Terminal, use diskutil(8) to unmount any volume that might be used for startup
  2. quit Terminal
  3. open Startup Disk
  4. quit Startup Disk

Environment

Booted from an external hard disk drive, MacBookPro8,2 limited to USB 2.0.

Last edited:

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
I used Recovery OS Disk Utility to mount (unlock) a Core Storage encrypted volume, then Terminal to attempt HFS-to-APFS (no conversion). I can't recall whether the (Command-Q) quit from Terminal was preceded by Command-W closure of the window. I probably did exit before the quit.

When I first posted this topic, I recalled the issue as: after using Terminal, macOS Utilities failed to reappear.

Symptom: a grey screen persisted for a few minutes.

I chose to force off the power.

Postscript

Whilst attempting to reproduce the symptom, I realised the more likely steps to reproduce:
  1. with Recovery OS Terminal, use diskutil(8) to unmount any volume that might be used for startup
  2. quit Terminal
  3. open Startup Disk
  4. quit Startup Disk

Environment

Booted from an external hard disk drive, MacBookPro8,2 limited to USB 2.0.
[doublepost=1497118397][/doublepost]I've experienced the same problem. Quitting Startup Disk in High Sierra Recovery OS results in grey screen and no ability to use mouse or keyboard. Forced Shutdown required.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
… no ability to use mouse or keyboard.

I didn't have that problem.

Forced Shutdown required.

I found a workaround that does not require force:
  1. with the empty grey screen
  2. point at the top left hand corner
  3. observe the menu bar
  4. ignore the Language Chooser menu
  5. use the Apple menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.