Recovery Partition bug in Yosemtie

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by robeddie, Oct 17, 2014.

1. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

I've got a 2011 iMac and a 2011 MacBook Pro, and updated both from Mavericks to Yosemite.

In both cases, the recovery partition did NOT update. It's still a 10.9 recovery partition.

I've talked to Apple support and (of course) they hadn't heard of this issue.

Has anyone else noticed this apparent bug?

P.S. I'm guessing if I were to wipe my drive and do a clean install of Yosemite, it would create the proper recovery partition, but that's a long drawn out process and frankly, it should do it properly when upgrading from Mavericks. So to those who suggest a clean install, that's not the point. If this is a widespread bug with the 2011 models (and possibly other late model macs) then that's what I want to find out.

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I have a late 2013 iMac with two partitions (Mavericks and Yosemite). At volume select start-up, both 10.9 and 10.10 recovery partitions show up.

3. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

I believe this bug affects older models (2011 models for sure) not sure about 2012 or 2010 models though.

4. ieguizab macrumors newbie

I have MacBook Pro 2011 and I have same problem when updating, recovery partition is Mavericks 10.9, I have a boot camp partition, I also updated a MacBook Air 2010 And an IMac 2011 without any problem, so I think the problem is the boot camp partition. I reinstalled Yosemite again updating Yosemite but I had same problem again.

5. rgraetz macrumors newbie

6. julsssark macrumors newbie

My recovery partition is not accessible after upgrading to Yosemite. I am using a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. The laptop's SSD was converted to the CoreStorage structure. I can see the Recovery HD partition in Disk Utility when I display hidden partitions. When I mount it, it appears to have been upgraded to Yosemite. However, the recovery partition is not accessible when I restart my Mac and use option or option-R.

7. julsssark macrumors newbie

Problem solved: if you have an SSD drive that Yosemite converts to the CoreStorage format, hold down command r (not option or option r) after the startup chime. This will launch the recovery utility.

juls

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

You can also revert the core storage logical volume to make it show up in the startup manager again.

If the yosemite installation creates a core storage logical volume you can revert it to get partitions back to normal by running these 2 commands in terminal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

Then restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Then boot up with option key and the recovery partition should then show up in startup manager.

9. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I'm having this issue too. I have a late 2013 iMac running Mavericks on the internal drive and Yosemite on an SSD connected via thunderbolt (my boot camp is on external SSD as well). When I alt+boot it only shows 10.9 recovery partition for both OS X installs. How can I fix it to where the Mavericks partition has a 10.9 recovery and Yosemite has a 10.10 recovery partition?

10. bahamas1 macrumors newbie

bahamas1

Same here, iMac 2011

Solved by deleting old recovery partition and run yosemite installation a second time.

11. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

What method did you use to delete old partition?

12. ieguizab macrumors newbie

Did you use debug mode in disk utility to delete recovery HD partition??

13. bahamas1 macrumors newbie

bahamas1

with terminal:

diskutil list

diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ Blank /dev/disk0s4

diskutil mergePartitions HFS+ Yosemite disk0s3 disk0s4

disk0s4 was recovery partition and disk0s3 Yosemite, maybe you have another configuration, you must check your configuration

14. ieguizab macrumors newbie

15. Piggyspark macrumors newbie

Worked perfectly. Thank you!