"Recovery" partition not a replacement for discs???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jim1954, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jim1954 macrumors newbie

This is a week old Apple Store refurb, mid-2011 model which came with Lion 10.7.2. I made an erased partition in half of the drive for a Snow Leopard install that I now realize I don't need. Trying to bring it back to normal with their "Recovery" method since Apple supplies no discs now. Thanks a lot Apple.

I definitely still have the Recovery partition, found it with a Terminal command someone gave somewhere and I saw it being moved when partitioning.

I was under the impression that this built-in Recovery partition is Apple's alternative to supplying discs now. So, if there's a need to re-install or repair, there it is ready to use. Apple says in http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/
    "Built right into OS X Lion, Lion Recovery lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without the need for a physical install disc. Since Lion Recovery is built into your Mac, it’s always there when you need it." Okay, sounds great so far.

Then on Apple's Support page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718 Apple says an internet connection is needed, (whoa, wait a minute, why, if Recovery has it???). But then says in next section, "Lion Internet Recovery", that internet is used, "If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD..." Sounds to me like I don't need internet, my system is running fine.

There's a lot of contradicting ambiguous info out there and it now appears that I maybe have to download Lion from Apple's servers?? Makes no sense, Recovery is not like having discs at all then. I did the Command-R start-up as instructed and all it did was direct me to a 57 hour download with my high speed DSL?! You've got to be kidding me. Say it ain't so, this is crazy.

Thanks for your help.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sorry, it's so. The recovery partition is a tiny one, with a few tools, but it does not contain whats needed to reinstall OS X from scratch.

As you noticed, that's a download now.

3. Jim1954 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had the feeling bad news was coming here. Wow, this sucks, just didn't seem possible, they just totally make it sound like it's all there ready to use, that's just wrong, very deceptive. It's times like this that it's hard not to think about how they can quite easily afford to supply discs. Been using Macs for about 25 years and those discs came in very handy.

4. JPM macrumors member

Once you've downloaded Lion, you can build yourself a bootable install DVD or USB key. The #1 hit on Google:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161069/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

There are a bunch of places that have instructions. I used one but I don't remember which to build one for myself and it seemed to work.

EDIT: Of course the way Apple are doing it - forcing you to download - does make a certain amount of sense. Chances are if you are reinstalling your OS, the disc you are installing from is not the latest version so you are faced with a large download anyway.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've always made full (clone) backups (SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner) and put them away. I've never had to use the OS DVDs that came with any of my Macs.

There is a way to create an install DVD (or a USB flash drive installer) from the restore partition download. I've seen a link to it posted somewhere. Making an install DVD from an App store downloaded Lion upgrade is easy, so I'd guess if you just wait for, buy, and Install Mountain Lion you would never have to go back to a Lion install DVD anyway.

6. omvs macrumors 6502

57 hour download? Youch, must be only 256kbit DSL, since I think my download was ~1-2 hours...

Did you completely erase the original 10.7.x partition, or just shrink it? If just shrank, you should be able to resize it back to full disk with the terminal or maybe even directly through disk utility....

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

The idea of downloading the OS from Apple's servers allows you to get the latest point release & not to do lots of updates afterwards (bit of a bugbear with Windows - install the OS, then spend hours doing update after update)

Yes, Apple are pushing the curve a little with the assumption that everyone has fast internet available, but that's fairly reasonable in this day & age.

For those that don't, you can buy Lion on a USB stick if you really have to...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't care how I install OSX as long as I can do so after upgrading/replacing my hard drive.

The recovery partition works well enough with repairing/reintsalling OSX when something happens to your OSX partition but how will the recovery partition work when you get a blank drive to install OSX from scratch?

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

As long as you have a 2011 model it has "Lion Internet Recovery" and will format and install without needing the recovery partition.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How would I do that when I placed a new blank drive in it?

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

12. Jim1954 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, completely erased it.

Yes, couldn't believe it said 57 hours, that's insanity, maybe was a false estimate? I hit cancel after I saw it wasn't going to change drastically soon. But I downloaded update to Lion from Snow Leopard for my MacBook Air in a few hours I think, probably much smaller. I don't know what connection speed is, maybe getting ripped off by AT&T at $40 a month, was on their intro package for $15 a month for about 2 years until just recently.

A thanks to JPM, talmy and Sirolway for tips on making backup discs updating, etc.

13. Bear macrumors G3

Lion Internet Recovery is in the firmware and is separate from the recovery partition on the drive. All Macs that shipped with Lion can do internet recovery and Apple a has a list of computers that can have their firmware upgraded for Internet Recovery.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have a supported model, it will launch Lion Recovery from firmware even with a new/blank drive.