Recovery Partition OSX Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sransom, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sransom macrumors newbie

sransom

Hi I'm a newbie to Apple Macbooks so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I've ordered the Macbook Pro Retina. I understand the recovery setup is included on a hidden partition of the SSD.

At present the Macbooks are shipping with OSX Lion. But with free upgrade to Mountain Lion when it is released.

My question is.. When the I later update the OS to Mountain Lion, would it also update the recovery partition to a Mountain Lion recovery, or will it remain as Lion?

Obviously in the future if I have to restore the machine at any point, I wouldn't want to have to restore back to Lion, before having to update again to Mountain Lion.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The recovery partition on the new Macs is not like that of many Windows based OEM computers with the whole OS on a recovery partition. The Mac recovery partition only contains a small set of utilities that allows you to format a disk and get online and redownload the OS. So with your new Mac the OS is not actually on the recovery partition at all.

When you upgrade to Mountain Lion, it will update the recovery partition to a new Mountain Lion version of recovery, but that still does not contain the entire OS, it will be the same utility set that allows you to get online and redownload Mountain Lion.

3. sransom thread starter macrumors newbie

sransom

Perfect, thank you Weaselboy for your reply and extra explaination. Exactly the info I was after! :)

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The Internet recovery disk utility is a great feature. However when your HDD or SSD fails the partition can go along with it. When ML is released I would make a copy of the partition on a thumb drive using this method......http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

I'd imagine they would update the website once ML is released.

5. sransom thread starter macrumors newbie

sransom

Good idea to make copy of he partition.
    However with the MacBook pro retina, if the ssd fails it is back to apple anyway as it is soldered into the motherboard and not removable by the consumer. One would hope when they replace the ssd they would also load the os as part of the replacement?

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure you get a fully functional computer back from Apple, so yes, the recovery partition should be on it and the OS itself should also be loaded ready for you to get going.

7. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Awesome... been looking for this for a while.

8. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I don't think the recovery partition contains the tool to download the OS, I think that's built into the EFI because I was able to use Internet Recovery to redownload Lion when I installed a brand new (i.e. with no recovery partition) hard drive into my MacBook Pro.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The recovery partition contains the same thing that internet recovery downloads, which is essential tools, and OS installer. internet recovery is meant as last ditch effort.

I also expect internet recovery to either be updated or start downloading ML once it's released for the RMBP, as every unit sold is eligible for a free update.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I wish the recovery partition would have the option for each OS your machine is eligible for (aka the one shipped with and subsequent bought ones)

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is actually in both. If you have a pre-2010 portable, it will be on the drive only. In a 2010+ with the EFI update, it will be in firmware and on the recovery partition.

So if you have a machine like your with the recovery in EFI, you can recover even from a blank drive like you did. Older machines will require the recovery partition or a recovery thumb (USB) drive.

12. bradhs macrumors member

Does anyone know how to get the recovery partition for Mountain Lion? I just imaged my disk and want to enable FileVault but since I lost my Recovery Partition I cannot.

I am a OS X Developer but it doesn't look like Apple has provided us the Recovery Partition. I do have the InstallESD.dmg file if anyone knows how to extract it from there.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you just reinstall Mountain Lion, it will create a recovery partition.

14. bradhs macrumors member

Wont that wipe out my existing data?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, if you do not use Disk Utility to erase the drive and just do a normal reinstall, it will not wipe your data.

16. bradhs macrumors member

Will it automatically resize the partition to make room?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it will. After the reinstall you can run the command "diskutil list" (without quotes) in Terminal app and you will see the new 650MB recovery partition.

18. asicguy macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the SSD is still socketed in the rMBP.