Recreating a user account on the same Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by expendableboy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. expendableboy macrumors newbie

(MBA MacBookAir5,1 i7 with 8 GB RAM, 250 GB drive)

So I’ve had several mystery problems ever since upgrading to Mavericks early this year:
    Contacts.app has had no interest in displaying my contacts list (hosted via Google)
    Mail.app runs like a tree sloth,
    and several apps (for example Mailbox) run but have little odd issues (like not displaying images within messages)
    plus the old  ~ key combo doesn’t work (normally would allow cycling through an app’s different windows)

To zero in on the problem(s), I’d like to “recreate" my home folder, by slowly adding in Library items (plists, app support files) to see if I notice any obvious pathology.

So the question— is there a “recommended” way to go about this? Or do I just create the account, then start dragging and dropping?

Curiously yours…

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no real simple or automatic way to do this. Just make the new account then drag what you think you want from the old account into the /Users/Shared folder so you can see it from the other account then start moving in what you want. Just trial and error until you find the culprit is the only way.