Recuperating iPhone after swim...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CuquiC, Jul 7, 2010.

1. CuquiC macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    Sad story: This past Saturday my iPhone 3GS went for a 3 min. swim. It was playing music and fell into a very tall vase with water. It took a while to fish out, but was off by the time of its rescue.
    I immediately took off the case and removed the SIM card. A friend of mine shook as much water out as he could and about 2 hrs later I placed it in a pitcher with uncooked rice and have left it sitting there ever since, removing it only twice a day since Sunday morning to blow-dry it with warm (not hot) air at a distance for about ten minutes on each side (charger and SIM card slots).
    This would be my second iPhone, the first one having been stolen about two months ago.
    I haven´t turned it on at all since this happened, as recommended in these forums (as well as common sense).
    I´ve been planning to do this everyday until saturday, but just wanted to check with the "experts" if you think it´s safe to turn on. It´s been four days, but I´d rather be safe than sorry...
    Thank you in advance for the input!

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

How did it end up in a vase? where you playing plants vs zombies?

3. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1, you should probably wait until this Saturday to try to turn it on. Obviously the water sensor is going to triggered with a 3 min. dip into a vase. Personally i think youre iPhone is done for, but it might work. If it does at all, it will most definitely have some problems like; bad speaker, water spots under screen, touch screen not responding, and maybe freezing.

4. CuquiC thread starter macrumors newbie

How´d you guess Computersayno??? :D I actually didn´t know it had water in it. Long story short, a friend of mine was telling a funny story, I laughed so hard I knocked the phone, which was perched on one of the corners, into the watery depth... When I heard the plop, I damn near cried.
    So you think I should keep at it till Saturday, Liam?
    Sounds good.
    Thanks so much!

5. Kim Sux macrumors member

It's really good you haven't tried to turn it on.

The main problem when your phone gets submerged in water is the battery is F'd up. Trying to power it up could cause bigger problems.

My recommendation would be buy a replacement battery and change it out yourself. There are plenty of sources online that sell batteries and show you how to do it.

Once a new battery is installed then power it up. At that point you'll have a good indication of how much damage has been done. I know changing the battery is a gamble, but it's really your best bet if you want to try and keep the phone.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I would cry too. ;)
    They usually suggest 4-5 days on the water damage, but 7 wont hurt.
    If you want a chance of keeping your phone then a new battery would be good. Heres a good one. http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3GS-batt...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4150ed138b

You'll need to have the prying tool kit and such.

7. CuquiC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kim, quick question though: If I wait till Saturday and the battery did die, will it affect my stuff? Or can I try, see how it goes and replace the battery afterwards?

8. kpromero macrumors newbie

also heard that putting it in rice will help it dry.

9. gemz1000 macrumors newbie

gemz1000

I would personally give it 1-2 weeks in the rice and NOT use the hair dryer to try to dry it. All the dryer is really doing is blowing whatever water is inside around. I would leave it undisturbed in the rice for 1-2 weeks. After all, it must be pretty wet inside considering it was submerged for 3 minutes...

10. Kim Sux macrumors member

You have to understand the battery is toast, plain and simple. If you have any chance of recovering the phone you'll need to replace battery. Do not try using it with the existing battery.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

DO NOT TURN IT ON!!! The battery has nothing to do with your storage, but your storage might have been damaged.
    Yep.

I dont think the batterys arent that expensive; maybe $50 at most. I would guess around 20 bucks. You should probably let someone at Apple do it just in case.

12. iFixYouri macrumors member

You should have it run through a proper water damage repair. When you introduce electronics to water, corrosion is almost inevitable. Corrosion spreads like rust on a car. At first, everything may function fine, but as corrosion spreads, you may begin to lose features/functionality.

A reputable repair company would be able to provide this service for you. Any damaged components need to be replaced, and the logic board properly cleaned of any corrosion, oils, or microscopic materials that built up when you went swimming.

A simple battery replacement is not the only recommended repair.

Good luck :)

13. Kim Sux macrumors member

I bookmarked your website in case mine should get damaged too. One suggestion though, you should have information on what to do immediately after your phone gets wet before they can ship it to you. Time is of the essence in those situations.

As far as corrosion, this is correct. However, it takes time. And for most, if you can get a year or two of use before being eligible for a replacement that's all people need.

14. iFixYouri macrumors member

We have that info...it's on our blog...valid point though...we'll be adding it to the WD product....

Thanks for the suggestion!

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

16. iFixYouri macrumors member

Thank you :)

17. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

so what happened?