Recycle/Reuse 17" panel from MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Timmo78, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Timmo78 macrumors newbie

So I've got a dead early-2008 model MBP. It's not worth replacing the logic board (at £480) so it's next to useless IMHO.

But I'm wondering if I can somehow salvage the display panel for re-use? It seems like a waste of a perfectly good display to just bin it.

Is there any way I can frankenstein a DVI adaptor to it? Highly unlikely - I suspect the necessary logic to control the screen lives elsewhere..

Any suggestions?

2. robdjones macrumors newbie

Dont know what the nature of your problem is, but I also had a 17" early 2008 MBP that needed a new logic board... Turned out to be a known problem with the nvidia card and they replaced it for free in Oct 2010 through the apple store in Southampton.

Have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

3. ajthomason macrumors 6502

As the above post pointed out, check that it isn't the nVidia issue first (computer appears to boot, but no output). I had mine repaired for that issue (also in Southampton).

As it happens, I have a 17" 2008 MBP with a smashed screen. If the alternative is for you to throw it away, I would be more than happy to pay postage plus a little bit extra to make sure it gets a good home :)

At the moment I just use it plugged into an external monitor, so it isn't worth a lot of money to have the screen repaired - I just thought I'd put it out there :)