Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Greetings, all.

I was gifted a double-handful of old comps (see my other PowerPC-specific post here).

Among these was a very lightly used 2008 MacBook Unibody (MB466LL/A).

Unfortunately, I have found that not all the keys respond . . . u, x and left-⌘ are particularly problematic, as I cannot reset the laptop (or anything else CL-related, which makes the whole Unit useless to me).

So, I went down the twisty-windy eBay/YT Road....

Found numerous options.; even the guy on YT who replaced his original with a raw MBP keyboard unit (only to find that the left arrow key was mis-aligned).

I can source a handful of used (raw) keyboard units for cheap, one New (Other), handfuls of used 2008's for about the same price as the N/O kb, and a bazillion 'New' MBP 2009-201x units.

No matter how I proceed, all of It will probably be straight out of Job.

Curious about what others tried, did, failed, and sucessful thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Yes, it is possible to replace the keyboard on an A1278 MacBook, but...it's a really involved process that may not ultimately be worth the time and effort. What I'd do is look into getting a replacement topcase, since the topcase and keyboard are one joint assembly.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Yes, it is possible to replace the keyboard on an A1278 MacBook, but...it's a really involved process that may not ultimately be worth the time and effort. What I'd do is look into getting a replacement topcase, since the topcase and keyboard are one joint assembly.

Yeah; I'm guessing that this is exactly why the previous User decided to abandon the use of the Unit I now hold.

Thank you for the confirmation :)

I have poured-over the availability that is on The Bay, and the top-case offerings were (at least to my review) sub-par.

My Unit is pristine, apart from the fact that five keys do not register input.

Purchased a lightly-used direct-replacement keyboard from teh Bay, yesterday, and will dive into the dis-/re-assembly (educational, no?).

Found one (1) New keyboard assembly, and will hold that in reserve (pending unsuccessful implantation of the Used unit).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.