Recycled Paper, Why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MasterNile, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I understand wanting to help the environment and have no problem with it, but why do some people seem to think recycled paper is so good and green?

The rainforest isn't being cut down to make paper, they have tree farms that replace the trees as they are cut down to make paper. Also AFAIK processing used paper costs the same if not more energy to make it usable again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? In my mind it just doesn't make sense, if someone can clarify for me how it does it could put a stop to my confusion.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well one thing recycling paper does it is reduce what ended up in the landfills.
    Also it takes less energy to make recycled paper than it does new paper so that is a huge savings.
    Reduces the demand on the tree farms that might be pushed to their limits as it is.

3. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Do you have anything to back up the energy use?

And paper is biodegradable so that doesn't matter much.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I don't understand why you wouldn't think recycling would use less energy. If you think about it, when you're creating paper from trees, you first have to create paper, but if you're creating paper from paper, you just smush it up and remake it. Logical thinking....logical...

5. MasterNile thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So while they may use more energy they tend to use less fossil fuels to get that energy than recycling mills. Also you are forgetting the process of deinking.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Confused? You could start by reading the Wikipedia article on paper recycling or simply google "benefits of paper recycling"...

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Hemp anything would be better. :)

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Minus one fact on the bio degradable part. nothing degrades in a landfill because of the lack of oxygen. It takes 100's of years for it to degrade in a landfill so recycling it keeps it out of landfills so it is still a valid point.

as for the other part. 30 sec of googling lead me to wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_recycling

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

FAIL. If you're going to claim that "processing used paper costs the same if not more energy to make it usable again", and not provide any evidence, then you have no place to demand other people provide evidence. :rolleyes:

Paper takes up space in a landfill. That means landfills have to be bigger, which means they take up more space. More space for garbage = less space for whatever should be there instead of garbage.

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

12. Jpoon macrumors 6502

It's better to use the readily available supply of paper rather than grow more trees and create a form of matter that can either be thrown in a landfill or recycled.

Just recycle the stuff we already made. Sure it creates pollutants, and it's expensive.

So, remedy the method of recycling.

/thread

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

but also the energy used to recycle the paper can be clean energy, like solar, wind, or Hydro energy. Vs the Gas/diesel on top of damaged ecosystems.

14. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

But you can't stop the chlorine entering the atmosphere. Plus with more trees being planted, the traditional paper industry makes sense vs. recycled... plus, it's better quality

15. Fake Hipster macrumors member

Plus theres a ton of bleach and other harmful chemicals that go into paper, and not so much recycled paper.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, we call it Common Sense. In order to press paper, you have to render either wood from a tree or old paper into paper pulp - there are additional steps to reducing wood into paper pulp, whereas the old paper really just needs a bath. Think about it.

This depends on what the paper is going to be recycled into. For stuff like cardboard, brown bags, yeah, you're right. Things like copy paper, paper plates, etc. are still bleached.

17. eldy macrumors 6502

let the tree huggers worry about the environment. i use which ever paper is cheapest.