Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Can I take my old MacBook Pro laptop battery into any Apple store and drop it off so it can be recycled?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
not all Apple Store's employees may know about Apple's recycling, so you may have to insist (this happened to me...)

Reactions: Ambrosia7177

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You might also check with your local recycling organization. Some have hazardous and e-waste drop off programs.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Yes, other places take Apple batteries:

I can personally attest to how satisfying if feels to make Apple take the battery!

Reactions: a2jack

Ambrosia7177

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
not all Apple Store's employees may know about Apple's recycling, so you may have to insist (this happened to me...)

Do you think it'll likely turn into a fight? (I know the closest Apple store to me is full of a**hole employees...)

Ambrosia7177

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
You can also drop it off at Home Depot if you happen to have one nearby.

Actually, I can almost walk to Home Depot, so thank you for the tip!! :apple:

Do all Home Depots do recycling/accept laptop batteries, or just some?

As asked above, do you think I'll run into any issues with uninformed Home Depot employees, and if so, what do I do?

Finally, I was told that Goodwill accepts batteries, but sadly there isn't one near me.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I think they all do this. Just walk up to the exchange counter right by the front door and hand it to them. I've never had them say a word.

https://www.call2recycle.org/locator/

HD is using this company and you can punch in your xip code here to see who is closest.

Drove over to the Home Depot near me, and the lady at the counter took it from me. At first she wasn't sure what to do and said, "I can take it if it is rechargeable."

I gave it to her, and hopefully it ends up in a eco-friendly end-of-life resting place!

Thanks for saving me a long drive to the jerks over at th Apple store! :D

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.