Red Alert 3 screen resolution problem on VMWare Fusion 2

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bboywake, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Bboywake macrumors newbie

I have been trying to play Red Alert 3 on my new MBP Unibody in Windows XP through VMWare Fusion 2 and I was looking through old posts on here and couldn't find anyone with the same problem I'm having.

Whenever I try to adjust the screen resolution settings and click confirm it crashes my virtual machine. I get the blue screen of death telling me windows had to shut down yada yada yada. I believe I should be able to run it with the graphics settings pretty high and the resolution at 1440x900, but it crashes windows, and makes me want to punch something :mad:

Also if I have the graphics settings above the low setting then I start having some weird problems like everything being really light colored, and vertical-ish lines running through everything but the actual characters.

Any ideas?

2. doctoree macrumors 6502

Do you know running damanding software like RA3 through a virtual machine is an incredible waste of system resources? I reccomend booting into XP through bootcamp every now and then for gaming.

3. Haephestos macrumors regular

As said above, you should never run demanding games through VMWare Fusion 2, because of resource wastage. BTW, the strange vertical lines are called artifacts and are caused by overheating / highly overburdened graphics hardware.

4. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

As everyone said above, when running a new/graphically intensive game do not do it virtually. Use Boot Camp.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It probably won't help an OS crash, but you might make sure you've got the latest patch for RA3.

6. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

The virtual video card that VMware exposes to the VM supports a subset of DirectX, so a very new game like RA3 is going to be likely to have problems. Fusion is awesome for most things, but like others have said, get a Bootcamp partition going for your gaming.

For what it's worth, I run things like GalCiv2 and some other older/less demanding games in Fusion just fine.

Mike