Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
On a whim, I went through my drawers looking for something to make a soup with, and found some red beans. I cooked them for about two hours,nodded onions and garlic and spices, then poured and ate a small bowl. They weren't fully cooked, but they were alright...some of them still had some hardness.

A friend of mine who just stopped by said that he thought uncooked red beans could make you sick.

Google found:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070121112620AAoowbT

I ate them about twenty minutes ago.
Should I be worried?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I eat canned beans after like a minute or two cooking several times. No problems.

Dunno if they're raw in the first place though. Probably not.

That page does make it sound like you really should be worried. But I'm easily confused by science babble so I wouldn't know.

But if you feel like bringing a possible cause of action for products liability, call me. Hell, for all we know that meets all the elements. I mean, it's probably foreseeable that people'd think "oh it's a vegetable, you can eat that raw," right? I'd love to get out of the unemployed 10% ;)*

*I'm NOT soliciting in any way or form, nor am I licensed to practice. This post is a joke, made with humor and jest.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
It looks like at most you'll suffer from some food-poisoning like symptoms. If anything PHA acting as a mitogen for T-cell proliferation causes the vomiting/diarrhea, as a sort of innate allergic reaction. You'll be fine.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Omg. Yahoo answers said yes.

What the answerer is talking about is dehydration. Pooping, peeing and nausea can significantly reduce your hydration state. Drink some water and you'll be good.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I eat canned beans after like a minute or two cooking several times. No problems.

Dunno if they're raw in the first place though. Probably not.

The canned beans are fine to eat straight from the can, they have already been cooked. The dried beans however.... you really need to soak them overnight and then boil them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.