Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Counterfit said:
As for saving Minardi's name, I could care less. Greater teams (*cough*Tyrrell*cough*) have come and gone.

No harm ment :)

To each his own team and memories.

But in Tyrrell's case, Ken Tyrrell himself wanted his name to be retired, so there's a difference...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I still don't care if Minardi no longer exists, even in name only. The same happened to Stewart, and Arrows, and lots of other teams. If one day, Williams gets bought, I won't bitch about it not being Williams any more.

DrEasy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Counterfit said:
I still don't care if Minardi no longer exists, even in name only. The same happened to Stewart, and Arrows, and lots of other teams. If one day, Williams gets bought, I won't bitch about it not being Williams any more.

And let's not forget more prestigious ones such as Lotus or Brabham...

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
DrEasy said:
And let's not forget more prestigious ones such as Lotus or Brabham...

I agree, especially Lotus was a very prestigious name. But maybe the fans weren't devoted enough.

Jordan is going away, Sauber is also going away...but I don't see any large-scale petitions there.

Minardi may be a small team with not a lot of success (if you look at statistics alone).

But it fought against the odds for 20 years with a tiny budget without EVER giving up.

For those of you who don't watch F1, just one example...

The ENTIRE Minardi team budget is about 50% of what Michael Schumacher ALONE earns in the same year.

No wonder Minardi has die-hard fans that maybe other teams don't / didn't have.

Look at Apple in the "gloom" years of 95 to early 98. If it weren't for the diehard fans and Mac aficionados - anyone remember the Mac Evangelist mailing lists and website :) ? - Apple probably wouldn't be around today.

So it's not the brand or statistic success alone in my view, but rather about a loyal fanbase for the last true underdog in Formula 1 - Forza Minardi !

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
derbladerunner said:
I agree, especially Lotus was a very prestigious name. But maybe the fans weren't devoted enough.

Jordan is going away, Sauber is also going away...but I don't see any large-scale petitions there.

Minardi may be a small team with not a lot of success (if you look at statistics alone).

But it fought against the odds for 20 years with a tiny budget without EVER giving up.

For those of you who don't watch F1, just one example...

The ENTIRE Minardi team budget is about 50% of what Michael Schumacher ALONE earns in the same year.

No wonder Minardi has die-hard fans that maybe other teams don't / didn't have.

Look at Apple in the "gloom" years of 95 to early 98. If it weren't for the diehard fans and Mac aficionados - anyone remember the Mac Evangelist mailing lists and website :) ? - Apple probably wouldn't be around today.

So it's not the brand or statistic success alone in my view, but rather about a loyal fanbase for the last true underdog in Formula 1 - Forza Minardi !
Sauber hasn't had major manufacturer backing since 1997, and yet they managed 4th in 2001. JV said he was amazed at how efficient the team was run when he first showed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.