Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad_robot

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Got this red circle issue. Contacted apple via the net. Advised to send the watch back as it was a 'genuine' apple acknowledged issue. Hence the web page reference under the circle.
Did that. Got the watch back in a nice white box with a printed note that said 'Our technicians performed complete diagnostic tests on your apple watch. They confirmed that it now meets apple specifications and performance, usability and functionality.' and 'There is no cost for our diagnostic tests.'
But guess what continues to randomly happen - the red circle issue continues after turn on from a power off.
After power off, placing the watch on a charger of pressing the switch under the crown, should restart the watch with an white apple on the screen. However, red circle often then appears. Why do I power off - to save battery, of course as I think extended charging can result in a swollen battery and a detached screen.
Afte the red circle, the watch then needs a complete restart (press crown and switch for 10 secs). However, after restart, the crown push does not function correctly, eg press and you should go from watch screen to app screen but it does not, sometimes the watch flicks from the app screen to the watch screen randomly.
Should I persist and contact apple again regarding the red circle until the watch is completely functional and meets specifications?
I have a second watch I recently repaired with a new screen and battery, so I don't need to use the faulty watch. Urgent return to functionality is a low priority. Never-the-less, am I entitled to have a completely working watch given this known red circle issue that only apple can fix?

Update - tried to power off but switch below crown wont work. Tried a restart but the watch restarts madly flicking form watch face to activity and apps screen. Tried a restart but it has now lost its way in the subroutines/os location as it now shows timer and the crown wont return the watch to apps or watch face screen.

Last edited:

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
If you're willing to put in the time and effort, keep trying.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
If its a know issue I would contact support and tell them it's still happening.

bad_robot

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Did exactly that - contacted support. Watch now in its nice white box and in the mail. Probably back in 2 weeks hopefully fixed. Don't know what the diagnostic testing entails but I hope it is not just a repair, re-sync and return as it may have been for last repair. When after, a simple power off and reboot gave the red circle. I'll let you all know progress as I now have a senior support person 'helping' me.

Reactions: Virgilinsanity

bad_robot

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Thank you apple. My gen2 apple watch s1 was replaced. So I am happy I now have a watch that actually works as it should - the crook watch created anxiety because I had no idea if it would work or go into a series of random screens; or red circle of death. I was getting tired of sending it back to apple for repair. Vast relief it is now a worker. Good to see apple value their product.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.