Red dot on watch face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by patseguin, Jul 27, 2015.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Got my Apple Watch on Saturday and have a question which I can't figure out. it hasn't always been there, but now on my watch face, there is a red top on the top center. What the heck does it mean?

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It means you have notifications waiting to look at. Sweep your finger down from the top of the screen to reveal the notifications.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You can turn it off as well if it is bugging you.

5. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

If people only would have a look at Apple's Watch manual, at least for the basic functions.. smh

6. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

While it is always helpful to read the manual for a new product, it can be easier to get a quick answer here and most people are happy to help.

7. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah, this. I have not read a manual for an Apple product probably ever. Really, do people get home with their new watch, iPod, or iPad and really sit there and open the manual and read it?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, but most google for the answer, rather than go a couple of days wondering what it is before resorting to a message board. Bet you it would've taken you far less time had you simply googled for the answer.

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Ok, so I am the bad guy because I went through the most important parts of the manual over a couple of days when I had time for it? LOL.

Really? LOL

And someone who never ever takes a look at a manual is the cool cat? Not in my world.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Feel free to ask your questions on the forum here. There's nothing wrong with it though some people want to make it seem like a problem. :)

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

As a side-note, because many don't know, if you are on your notifications, you can force touch and dismiss them all in one fell swoop!

12. dandrewk macrumors 6502

How many posts and threads have we had here because someone didn't bother to read the manual? Usually they are complaining about something the manual covers, then blame Apple for the "malfunction" and/or accuses them of making their gear so darned complicated.

This red dot "mystery" is about as basic as it gets, just slightly below "did you turn it on?" or "did you plug it in?" YES, it is easily answered here, but it wastes time and bandwidth when the answer is VERY easily obtained with MINIMAL effort.

And, sorry, but I DO read manuals. I prefer to understand how things work and thus get the most out of new gadgets. If it's not covered in the manual, then I'll google for the answer. Only then would I come to a forum and ask.

Instead of impugning those of us who take the time/effort to read manuals, perhaps a "mea culpa" is more in order.

13. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I haven't read a manual since..... WAIT :eek:... They make manuals for stuff?!?!
    I didn't actually know that, thanks for the tip. Guess I would have, if I new that they made manuals... *facepalm* :D:cool:

14. MrBTec macrumors newbie

MrBTec

15. arubinst macrumors 6502

I don't think there's anything wrong in asking for help (and not reading the manual... in my family, no one does!) and often times, manuals don't have all the answers (this is particularly true with Apple products, which often have hidden/undocumented features).

But believe it or not, one of the bigger pleasures I get from buying new gadgets is reading the manual. I usually download it days before I get the product and start reading it :)

16. MrBTec macrumors newbie

MrBTec

I honestly never got that far down the box when I got mine, actually dug deeper and found it LoL

17. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats why i hate force touch and dont want it on my phone! how am I supposed to know when theres a force touch function and when there isnt. the times i do try it nothing happens and in times like these it never even occured to me to try

18. soya macrumors 6502

soya

They could add a dot whenever Force Touch is available :D

19. mchlwise macrumors member

mchlwise

A red one.

20. LIOC macrumors member

LIOC

How would you know the answers not there if you never read the manual?

And yes I am a manual reader. I find it saves time in the end for things with any type of complexity and tells me about features I did not know existed.

21. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I do, as a general rule.

However, I see nothing wrong with people not doing so, and asking a question on the relevant forum instead. It can often be faster, especially for people who aren't into knowing every little detail about a product. Nobody has to read or reply to any threads here, after all.

Additionally, the little leaflet that came with the Sport had nearly no information. I can only speak for myself, but personally hate having to download a manual. I would prefer a printed version to be included in the box-- and without that, I'd be more likely to turn to a forum.