Red Dot

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tallgrass, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Tallgrass macrumors member

Tallgrass

What are the red, white, and black dots on the digital crown made of? I searched but could not find the answer. It looks like enamel. Does anybody know? I am just curious how durable it is. Considering how often we touch the crown it would suck if half of it cracked and fell off.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is only the red digital dot on the crown on the Series 3. There is no white or black dots. The red dot appears to be some type of enamel paint, which the durability seems perfectly fine without any type of scratching or separating.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

I would assume it is enamel. It could be injection-molded plastic, but that seems unlikely due to the other materials used in the stainless steel watches (zirconia ceramics, sapphire and so on). Also, plastic scratches easily, so again seems unlikely with the tough materials used elsewhere... (And you would probably want to avoid excessive warranty/applecare returns due to bad/cheap choice of materials on an otherwise quite expensive to make product...)

4. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Correct for Series 3 - only previous generations had the white or black dots.

All previous Steel models had the Black dot. In Series 0 the Gold Edition models either had Black, White or Red dots.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The black dot on both my S0 and S2 (both in steel) looks a lot like the ceramic back, especially in how it treats reflections from light. I'm guessing it could be a ceramic insert.