Red Exclamation Point!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FrankySavvy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Hey everyone. I was updating to Watch OS 3 Beta 2 and my watch locked up and was in the process of updating. I tried a hard reset and it ended up giving me a white apple logo then a red exclamation point telling me to visit www.apple.com/help/watch. After multiple hard resets, it keeps going to the red exclamation point. I have had my watch since day one with no issue.

I have made a genius bar appointment, I'm hoping they will service for free since its a software lockup.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They will service it for free if you have AC+. You're SOL if you're out of warranty.

3. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

If thats the case, I'm not paying a service free, for my watch its over 300 bucks, rather get a new watch, since its software will see what they say. Just seems ridiculous.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why you need to think twice before updating your out-of-warranty AW to beta wOS 3. If it gets bricked, your only choice is to get it serviced by Apple.

5. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll keep you posted, my appointment is Thursday evening

6. mbaran macrumors regular

I can almost guarantee Apple will service an out of warranty AW when a software update causes it to fail. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen, since you have no ability to restore the device (recovery or DFU) on your own.

7. JayLenochiniMac, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I am assuming the OP is merely an armchair beta tester. In that case, it's hardly a lawsuit waiting to happen. The inability to downgrade is most likely why it's not a public beta in the first place. Non-developers aren't supposed to be installing the non-public beta.

I'm sure they take care of paid developers when it comes to bricked AWs on beta, including those out of warranty.

8. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I have heard they have had trouble with in store units when being upgraded so maybe they know a workaround in store without having to send it out.

9. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Went to Apple. They are sending it out for repair. If it's software problem it's free,if it's hardware it costs $329 to replace because it's out of warranty. Seems fair! They will also ship it to my house in 3-5 days.