Red flags when buying refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hey, so I have been considering buying a refurbished mac lately mostly due to not having much dough to drop on a new one. If it's really not recommended by anybody then I will probably reconsider, however I wanted to hear opinions on buying used or refurbished. Is it safe? After reading countless threads on macs breaking I am somewhat nervous. I plan on buying from a place called The Mac Shack in Boulder, CO.:apple:

2. GGJstudios, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurb models are only available from Apple's online store. If you're buying from The Mac Shack, you're buying used, not Apple Certified Refurbished.

Apple refurbished Macs are a great way to go. The overwhelming majority of the posts in these threads agree. They're covered by warranty, just like new ones, in case something goes wrong. You can't miss.
    Apple Refurb Store
    Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with Google:

Would you buy a refurbished Mac from Apple
    Refurbished MBP or New?
    Refurbished vs New: your experiences, thoughts?
    Macbook Pro Refurbished questions
    has anyone ever had a bad refurbished MBP?
    Refurbished MacBook pro
    Open box or Refurbished MBP?
    Refurbished buy...Good idea or not?
    leaning towards imac, or a macbook, and should i buy new or refurbished
    Refurbished MacBook Pro?
    Considering refurbished MBP however...
    macbook refurbished?
    Refurbished???
    Has anyone had any bad experiences with getting a Macbook Pro Refurbished from Apple?
    New vs. Refurbished iMac
    Do refurbished MBPs come with the new batteries?
    Is refurbished MB a good buy?
    How are refurbished products different?
    has anyone bought a refurbished Macbook pro ?
    Mac Pro refurbished - yes or no?terrified to go refurbished!
    Warranty with refurbished MBP?
    refurbished macbook pro
    Refurbished MBPs Ship From?
    Apple Refurbished Macbooks
    Refurbished MacBook from Apple online store... worth getting?
    Refurbished MBP or New Macbook?New to Apple: Should I start with a Refurb?
    Refurb Qualities and Battery Life
    Refurb vs Amazon
    Apple refurb store
    MBP Refurb
    best place to get a refurb MB?
    Buying advice please, new vs refurb iMac
    Refurb or New Macbook?

3. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

The Mac Shack is an Apple Authorized Seller and an Apple Authorized Repairer. Doesn't that mean they can officially sell refurbished?

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

While I buy new, I have a very good friend that always buys refurbished Mac Laptops. He has had nothing but stellar service from these units. Cosmetically they look as good as my new ones do. I must say I am very impressed with Apple's refurb program.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple Certified Refurbished products are only available on Apple's online refurb store: Refurbished Mac They are not available through any Apple bricks-and-mortar stores or through any Apple resellers.

6. cleihgeber macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 15inch Macbook pro refurbished from the mac store and it is basically a new computer. However the battery had 10 cycles on it...but not bad at all considering you should get 1,000 before 80%. Good luck, you won't be making a mistake when buying Apple refurbished.

7. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

I don't know,but I bought a refurb MacBook pro mid 2010 and I had all kind of problems,the first one I received came doa,apple replace it with another one,no problem,now the other one after 2 months the power adapter went bad,the trackpad also went bad,I don't know,they look new,but I don't know,I either have bad luck or certainly the quality of them products are not as good as you might think,good thing it's on warranty and apple is repairing all that free of charge,I mean,I still like the computer,but I'm a little dissapointed,cause I taught apple computers being so expensive and on the website saying that refurbs go tru a meticulous procces of reconditioning them,I don't know what to think,I had a hp pc for 4 years and still going strong no problems at all,I don't know,I'm just saying,you know:confused:

8. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Ahh! That scares me. That's likebthe only negative thing I've heard anyone say about refurbs. It might just have been a few bad apples tho (no pun intended) but I freaking pray and cross my fingers hoping I don't get a bad one. I've had a crappy computer for too long.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly! When you sell millions of computers, it's inevitable that a very small percentage won't be 100%. That's what warranties are for. The same possibility holds true even if you buy new vs refurb. In both cases, you're covered.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i suppose it's good to mention you'll be paying tax on apple refurbs.

11. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've honestly heard that buying refurb from the apple store is a really good deal. The reason being is that Apple actually takes it apart and fixes what is wrong. So they can get a second look at the inside of the machine and make it work even better in some cases. I've read posts on people saying their heat management is better in refurb models because apple technicians take the computer apart again and reapply the thermal paste.

I would definitely trust a refurb. But ONLY from the apple store. Good luck man.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple online store is the only place Apple Certified Refurbished products are sold. They're not available anywhere else.

13. woodekm, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I've bought 2 mac book pros and 2 minis from the refurb apple store over that last 5 years. All of my keyboards, mice, iPod and 2 airports were purchased from them and I've never had a single problem with any of these items.

I bought my Apple care on Ebay for my laptops (just to be safe) and had no problems either. I had to use apple care for my first MBP 15" to have the battery replaced, but I believe it was my fault, ( kept it plugged in for 2 1/2 years and never cycled the batt). Now I know. They replaced the battery for free (overnight). Regardless, that was the only problem I've had with any of my refurb items. They are also warrantied the same as new from Apple.

I'll ALWAYS buy refurb directly from Apple.

BTW: Id pass on the free shipping from Apple if you want your stuff fast. It doesnt really cost that much more and you'll get it in a couple of days instead of UPS Ground which takes a week + (if your on the east coast). IMHO

14. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

Yeah,apple will fix it if it's under warranty that's no problem,but the matter of the fact is that it's a hit n miss on the refurb stuff IMHO,cause there's a few 2010's in the refurb site,humming...wonder why:confused:

15. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Why not buying new for say $500-$600 extra and you have pace of mind. Get the Apple Care for whatever may be.., $350 or so. Go to an Apple store in your area and get what you like and be happy. The only thing what you've got in this life is what you going after. Always remember that.

RFlush