Red Hue, rMBP replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tenshu2k, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tenshu2k macrumors member

Had a BTO rMBP, LG display bad IR. Just got the replacement and returned my original.

On the replacement (also LG), I noticed a red hue initially, thought it would go away. Actually thought it was in my head for a while, but now its becoming even more noticeable.

Ghosting/IR is not as prominent. However, this is a far far worse problem. I tried calibrating, but could not correct it.

Anyone have this problem? Does it go away?

Part of me feels like I'm being nitpicky here, but I've had 5 macbooks and never had any displays have this kind of problem.

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Don't settle until you are happy. I had every apple store in NYC telling me I can't swap anymore and they are going to refund me. In the end I got apple care.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think some of the perceptions of hue are just people who are used to the cast of their older displays. If it has a definitive hue, return it. Calibration isn't really calibration at all. I'm going to skip the boring explanation, but it's something where if your display is pretty similar to target values, it can try to hold them there as long as possible by adjusting the inputs fed to the display. It will not fix hardware problems. That's kind of a misunderstanding on this forum. In case you mean the "calibrate" button in system preferences, never use that. I only suggest people use that to see how bad it is.

4. tenshu2k thread starter macrumors member

Yes, totally noticeable.

I can see the red hue in this box as I type. I thought I was just seeing things, and it was perhaps a calibration thing. But its distinctly just across the right side, about an inch out for most of the side.

Not sure I could convince a genius of it. It's also kind of a pain to return, and I'm not sure the next one will be any different either. This one literally just came built via China 2 days ago.

5. tenshu2k thread starter macrumors member