iPad RED iPad Air Smart Case - How's it holding up?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sap12690, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

Anybody purchase the RED iPad Air smart case? I was wondering how it was holding up, I went ahead and bought the black one because I had so many problems with the RED leather iPhone 5s case, also from Apple. It got black around the edges and looked so dirty after only 3 days, I was wondering if the RED Air smart case was having the same problems.... Anybody having problems with it?

2. acrafton macrumors 6502

It is dirty

Edges ...even inside the apple logo. Not sure I will keep it.

3. terrywfoster macrumors regular

Had It since Friday and it's holding up perfectly with just about non stop use.

4. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about switching my black for a red, if the red is better quality then the iPhone case

5. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I had a black but switched over to red. Honestly, the shade of red used was a little bright for my tasted, compared tot he red used with the smart case, but it's grown on me. It's holding up really well...not dirty yet, though it's only been a few days.

6. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Great thread! I am also really curious to know how those RED Smart Cases will look like after 2-4 weeks of use... Keep us informed. :)

7. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I got a blue one and smothered it in leather protector. 5 days of use and still looking like brand new

8. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

Same here. Got the blue one and used a leather waterproof spray on it (bought from a shoe repair store) and the case still looks brand new.

I was told to re-apply the spray every few months.

9. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Do you spray just the outside or both outside and inside? What brand did you use?

10. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

The inside is not leather.

11. jaydee24601 macrumors regular

FANTASTIC IDEAS! Thanks! I love my Red Smart Case ... what product/brand leather protector are you using please?

12. conancn, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

conancn macrumors member

13. susa macrumors regular

Agree. Excellent idea. I just cleaned my near year old one with some Oxyclean and an old toothbrush. It wasn't difficult, but I lived with the dirt for some time when I could have just protected it in the first place. I've a lot of Stainguard in the house, but it just didn't occur to me to use it on the cover. Thx guys :)

14. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I just sprayed the outside (as the inside of the case is micro fibre).

I am in Australia, so not sure if the spray I used is available outside of Australia, but it was "Mister Minit - Water and Stain Protector", but I am sure any leather waterproofing suitable for shoes would be fine.

15. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried the whole leather spray thing on the iPhone 5S Red Leather Case, it was clean and looked like new for a week, then it suddenly turned black and looked disgusting :eek:

16. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Ditto for me. I saw a review of the red and tan on Youtube, however I prefer the red. I am unsure if I will get the Air or the Mini Retina, but once I decide I think that I will get the red smart case, if it holds up well with use.

17. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

18. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Not a mark on my blue case after nearly two weeks. I did use a water proof leather protector on it. Worked a treat. My 5s Brown leather case is still mint too.

19. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which protector did you use? Seems like the one I used didn't work at all. Also, how long have you had the 5s case?

20. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I've had & used it over a month now. It's still red but is starting to show where it is held and used. I can see replacing it with a black one in the future.

It's still a good product other than that and I've been satisfied with the case itself.

21. xPad macrumors regular

I have the Red case and actually want it to get worn and dirty. That's what leather is supposed to do.

As it is it's wearing a bit, but it's still far too pristine (I've had it since a week or so before Thanksgiving). I expect it to be just fine over the course of its lifetime.

If you want perfect, get plastic. If you want imperfect, get leather. That's the nature of the two materials.

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have a red case but not sure if i will keep it.

I have a black case as well and I'm sure the black case will look great in the long run by the nature of just being black. Not so sure about the red. In the red case the magnets must be off or not as strong cause I have a really hard time keeping the fold together. As I'm typing away the stand will collapse. This is very disappointing as the black one is really solid and stable. I don't think it has anything to do with the color as I had a different red case that I returned due to black specks embedded in the leather. That red case was also solid in either stand mode.

23. BroNz- macrumors newbie

How about brown apple smart case? Any significant wear and tear? Planning to get a brown one instead of black.

24. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Anyone have the brown leather case for iPad?
    How's it holding up?

25. meistervu macrumors 65816

Very well, which is a shame, because I want it to age a bit faster. I love the aged leather look of my iPhone back cover. I guess I handled the phone more than I do the iPad.

But there is a subtle sign of darkening, so there is hope.